Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blogs of the month

A very late blogs of the month post due to a long overdue holiday which I should have announced before I went away (for those of you who might have thought I'd abandoned this blog).

Anyway here are four to enjoy:

Ideas in Food
Food science and flavour combining are hugely popular right now, especially in the US so dip into this fascinating blog - and book - from Aki Kamozawa and H. Alexander Talbot who met when they were working at Clio in Boston and now have a restaurant consultancy business. There are some fascinating posts - most recently what to do with grilled outer leek leaves and how to poach oysters at 48° and still retain the briny taste. Fascinating reading.

Eggs on the roof
A charming, quirky, beautifully written and photographed blog from Oxford-based journalist, writer and broadcaster Charlie Lee-Potter. The title apparently stems from her childhood when her mum's best friend told her that if she threw an egg over the top of their house, it would never break . . . Mainly but not exclusively about food but well worth reading even when it isn't

Extra-Relish
And another gorgeous looking blog from food photographer and writer Pascale Cumberbatch. Oddly, like Charlie, she lives in - or rather just outside Oxford. And also photographs landscapes and scenery. I love her intermingling of colour and black and white photography. Beautiful.

Jim's Loire
Jim is Jim Budd, a British wine writer who spends half his time in London and the rest in the Loire and Lisbon (long story. Don't ask.) Anyway he's a mine of information on what is happening in the Loire vineyards and to small producers all over France. (Like me he's very interested in natural wine.) He's also a fearless exposer of wine scams through his site investdrinks.org. Good bloke.

3 comments:

  1. Fiona, thanks for including me on this list. I'm delighted and it made my day! I know lovely Charlie from Eggsontheroof, but it's great to learn of the other bloggers you feature this month. Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pascale. I find it much more rewarding than a blogroll. I enjoy focussing on a few blogs each month and really getting to know them. (For some reason you're doesn't update on Blogger btw. Maybe because it's not technically a blog?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona I was so happy to find myself here. Writing and photographing a blog is sheer pleasure, but even lovelier if it has a wider appeal. And great to find my friend Pascale here, as well as two other writers I'm looking forward to getting to know. Thank you. Charlie

    ReplyDelete