Saturday, July 23, 2011

Heritage tomatoes from The Tomato Stall

I have to thank Times journalist Alex Renton (via Twitter) for this recommendation - a firm that supplies tomatoes by post from the Isle of Wight.

Now you may think that's idiotic - tomatoes are everywhere at this time of year - but the Isle of Wight produces really tasty, sweet ones. I particularly like the idea of a 5kg family sized box (£21.50) including beef tomatoes, cherry and baby plum tomatoes and heritage tomatoes which would make a great present to take someone if you were staying for the weekend (healthier than a couple of bottles of wine . . .)

They also do prepared tomato products year-round which I spotted in a deli in Yarmouth last weekend with my mate Fiona Sims who vouches for the oak-roasted tomatoes.

Talking of tomatoes, there's a fantastic recipe for baked tomatoes and baguette with cream and anchovies by Yotam Ottolenghi in the Guardian today.

3 comments:

  1. Are they the ones that are at all the Farmers' markets? They have similar things - oak smoked also top notch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure these are they. Another vote for the oak-smoked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect so. They also sell them at our local deli in Bristol. But I still like the idea of receiving/giving someone a vast box. It would be such a treat.

    ReplyDelete